Overview
The Singapore Volunteer Artillery (SVA) was established by MR W.G.ST CLAIR and his protem commimee on 22nd February 1888. The SVA had a proud tradition of gun drills which they trained on at a Drill Hall at Fort Fullerton Site.Their motto reads "IN ORIENTE PRIMUS" which means the FIRST IN THE EAST, for they were the first artillery organisation to be set up in the Far East. They were also the first to use the Maxim Gun in the whole British Empire and also the first in the East to receive the coastal guns which were positioned at the fest Volunteer Artillery Camp at Sentosa, then known as Pulau Blakang Mati. These 56 magnificent coastal guns were all destroyed when it became apparent that Singapore would fall to the Japanese in 1942.
For a brief period after the war, the old gunners laboured to recover the ruins of the fortress at Pulau Blakang Mati and Pulau Brani In 1948, the First Regiment Royal Artillery (1 SRRA) was formed as a regular locally-enisted Artillery formation. Later in 1952, the National Service ordinance was passed and the effort tu group the Regulars, Volunteer and National Servicemen into one body led to the formation of the Singapore Miltary Force (SMF). By 1957 the Singapore Military Force was firmly entrenched and all the components of the Artilery were placed under one body known as the Singapore Royal Artillery (Volunteer) with a Regimental Headquarters raised the same year at Beach Road. In 1963 the Singapore Royal Artillery (Volunteer) became known as the 10th Singapore Volunteer Artillery Territorial Army, 10 SVA (TA). They operated with the 25 pounder and the 4.2 inch mortar.
Following the independence of Singepore, the 10 SVA (TA) was renamed the 20th People Defence Force (Artillery) (20 PDFIA)) In 1968, 20 PDF (A) ceased to exist as a volunteer organisation and was re-designated as 20th Singapors Artilery Batalion which was located at Taman Jurong Camp. Meanwhile the School of Artillery was established in SAFTI on 1st August 1967. The School subsequently shifted to Taman Jurong Camp in mid 1968. 20 SAB then operated as a Battalion Headquarters and Artillery Headquarters until 16th December 1969 when there was a re-organisation spit and a new Artillery Headquarters was established. Since then, the Singapore Artilery has undergone several structural and organisational changes for better operational effectiveness. Today the Headquarters Singapore Artillery (HG SA) has under its command the 3rd Division Artilery Headquarters, the Artilery Reserve Training Centre and the School of Artillery.
Shown on the set of stamps issued to mark the Singapore Artilery Centenary are some of the weapons used against the background of two prominent camps and public buildings. Portrayed on the 10cents stamp are Gunners of a Gun Detachment operating the 155 Gun Howitzer. The present Home of the Gunners'- Khatib Camp which was completed in mid 1983 is featured in the background. The 35 cents stamp features two soldiers with a 25 Pounder Gun in a traditional ceremonial gun salute pose at the Padang. The City Hall is prominently featured in the background. Depicted on the 50 cents stamp is a soldier with a 4.5 inch Howitzer in a ceremonial gun salute pose. The Singapore Cricket Club circa 1928, is featured in the background. The $1 stamp shows a member of the Maxim Gun Detachment with a 405 Maxim Gun against the background of the Drill Hall at Fort Fullerton Site circa 1893. Besides illustrating the Singapore Artillery's commitment to peace-time training in preparedness of their role to defend the nation, the stamps best symbolize the centenary theme-"Excellence for the Singapore Artillery".













